With painting gear in hand, I enjoy traveling throughout the west including Alaska and Mexico. On-site works often provide me with information and concepts for larger studio paintings. My impressionist style in oil is applied to a range of Western Art including wildlife, horses, landscape, still life, and figurative. Collectors describe my wildlife paintings as “powerful, with character and soul”.
My education includes a degree in Wildlife Management with a minor in Art from Colorado State University, as well as studies at Delgado Community College in New Orleans and study under master painter/teacher Gerald Merfeld of Westcliffe, Colorado. I served on the Board of Directors for the Western Colorado Center of the Arts and am a member of the Sangres Art Guild, Santa Rita Art League, and Tucson Plein Aire Painters Society.
My Exhibits and Awards include:
– Wyoming Governor’s Invitational Wild Horse Show — Best of Show 2005
– Arts for the Parks Exhibit, Jackson Hole, WY 2005 — Top 100 “Chasm View”
– Visual Arts Guild Exhibition — First Place Professional Oil, 2002 (Judged by Ralph Oberg)
– Tubac Center of the Arts Members Open Exhibit — Best of Show 2013
– Safari Club Exhibit — Purchase Award 2005 “Sparring”
– Western Spirit Invitational Juried Exhibit, Cheyenne Frontier Days, Old West Museum, Cheyenne, Wyoming 2005
– Flight / Vuelo National Juried Invitational Exhibit, Tubac Center of the Arts 2016 — purchase “Fence Riders”
Contact Steve Hickman
TELEPHONE: (520) 310-2619